Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reverb 10 - Day 2

Prompt: Writing. What do you do each day that doesn't contribute to your writing -- and can you eliminate it? 

Today's question is pretty easy for me to answer.  In fact, it could easily be the answer to most of my frustration in life.  PROCRASTINATION.  Honestly, sometimes even I can surprise myself by my most amazing ability to procrastinate.  

This blog was designed to journal and record my quilting and knitting projects.  Sadly, that old devil, procrastination, hit me hard as I struggled to get into a good habit of doing blog entries.  So add procrastination in writing to a pretty amazing ability to procrastinate in sitting down to both quilt and knit. What does this get me?  A pretty slim blog chronicling very little crafting.  Not too interesting to read, huh?

I have often commented that if I quilted even half as often as I thought about quilting, I would be very prolific.  Same story with knitting.  I obsessively purchase new yarn and choose patterns for projects that I either never start or never finish.  I started the blog to give me motivation to quilt and knit so I would have something to say.  Then I wrote many many blog posts in my mind that never made it to the keyboard (?),  screen (?), blogosphere (?).  

My procrastination does not limit itself to just crafting (fiber and writing), it pretty much rules my life.  Do I really work better under pressure?  That's certainly what I tell myself as I rush to finish things by deadlines, often just under the wire.  I think what I find most frustrating about this behavior is that I recognize my procrastination as a fault and sometimes a REAL problem, but so far, I haven't figured out how to eliminate it. 

That takes me back to the second part of today's question.  I love writing.  I don't write as often as I want or as often as I think about writing.  I know that procrastination is the issue but can I eliminate it or lessen it?  

My challenge to myself going forward is to honestly work on this.  Even just a little progress would likely result in less stress, more writing, more knitting, more quilting, more satisfaction and as I stated in my goal yesterday....contentment.











No comments: