Tuesday, December 21, 2010

#reverb10 - December 20 Beyond Avoidance

Prompt:  What should you have done this year but didn’t because you were too scared, worried, unsure, busy or otherwise deterred from doing? (Bonus: Will you do it?)

(Author: Jake Nickell)

Today, I will try to get back to my original concept for this blog -- quilting and knitting.  I  think the topic of avoidance is an interesting one in regards to these topics.  I never quilt or knit as much as  I would like.  I start a lot of projects but they sometimes languish for good periods of time in the UFO (unfinished objects) bin.    I think it is easy to blame this on a lack of "free" time.  "I'm sooooo busy; I just don't have time to work on (insert name of project)." 

But if I'm totally honest with myself, I know that I can make time to do plenty of other things even while being soooo busy.  So what is it then?  I love to learn new skills and I'm willing to work through the learning curve to do so.  BUT, I get to a point in many projects where I have tackled a project that is a bit too big or a bit too complicated and I think I psych myself out of doing it.  I'm scared that it won't turn out well or the work won't be "good enough".  Who are these quilt police who will tell me it's not good enough?  I don't know....but there's always that chance.  

Is this a form of avoidance?  Yes, I'm pretty sure that it is.  To be so worried about not being successful  that you're afraid to try seems almost ridiculous, especially when we're talking about a knitting or quilting technique.  If skydiving were my hobby instead, I'd never actually jump out of the plane if all I did was worry about failure.    Thankfully, the consequences of failing at knitting or quilting are much less dire. 

The reality is that I enjoy the process of creating more than I enjoy the finished project so instead of avoiding something, I should just jump right in and start ...or finish. 

No comments: