Tuesday, December 14, 2010

#reverb10 - December 13 ACTION

PROMPT:  When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step?       (Author: Scott Belsky)

Ideas.  Yes, I have lots of ideas.  Quilts I want to make, knitting skills I want to master, books I want to write, things I want to improve.  Putting those ideas into action is the real challenge.  In case you are just now reading this blog for the first time, procrastination is my middle name.  Lots of idea coupled with procrastination does not result in lot of progress. 

It doesn't stop me from dreaming, though.  I make lists and plans and try different methods to shake myself out of the routine of NOT doing.  But I am often not successful.  Lately, however, I have been working very hard on putting into action the ideas I have and I can honestly say it has been only somewhat successful, but immensely rewarding. 

For example, the decision to participate in  #reverb10 was very impulsive.  I have wanted to get into a strong habit of writing every day.  It was one of the reaons that I started the blog so many years ago but I wrote many blog posts in my head, not so many on the keyboard.  So using one of my favorite bloggers as inspiration (Thank you Shauna!) , I decided to just go for it.  The one thing in my favor was that I found out about it on November 30, so I had to put it into practice immediately.   I have been pretty faithful (although I'm currently a day behind) and the expereince has been awesome for. me.   It doesn't matter to me if anyone reads it.  I'm not concerned about it being perfect.  It feels good to do it and I can already see an improvement in my writing.  I stared out using too many cliches and overused the word "so" and I have pretty much stopped those two things.  Baby steps...  (Hmmm, is "baby steps" a cliche?)

I think turning your ideas into aspirations and taking the next step comes down to a very simple task.  Just sit your butt down and do it (with apologies to Nike who don't want you to sit your butt down).  I feel like my success (so far) with this exercise has spilled over into other areas of my life and I'm making some good progress.   I really want to sustain this momentum and  I like the feeling it gives me.  After all, being happy with yourself is more than half the battle....(those goes a cliche again).  Oh well, old habits die hard!  Stop it!  I'll do better tomorrow.  After all, tomorrow is another day!  (OK, that shouldn't as a cliche... it's a quote from a movie!) Sorry, I couldn't resist.    

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Thank you very much for the shout out, woohoo! Here's to momentum :)