Wednesday, December 8, 2010

#reverb10 - Day 8 - Beautifully Different

December 8 – Beautifully Different.
Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful.
(Author: Karen Walrond)


I like to think I am different.  I don't want to do what everyone else does or think what everyone else thinks.  Sometimes my desire to be different is affirmed when I suddenly realize that the people around me don't think the way I do.  When Men Are From Mars: Women Are From Venus came out, I eagerly got my hands on a copy. ready to learn about the secret world of men  This would help me understand relationships and I would be ready to face them head on.  After a few chapters, I was pretty excited as I read through the various traits that described me....too bad I was reading the section about men! It may be a bit of an exaggeration but I have always remembered it when I get frustrated about a relationship and often realize that I'm not re-acting the way a woman is supposed to re-act (well at least according to the book author).  I still think it is a great book about relationships but I need to refer to both sexes to figure myself out. 

My tendency to approach things in my own way, often with a wildly different perspective has  turned out to be pretty valuable. I was on the debate team in high school.  At the time, I thought it was because I just liked to argue.  However, it taught me to see both sides of an issue and when you're debating competitively, it doesn't really matter if you believe the side you are representing.  You just have to have the opposite view of the other team and effectively present your argument.  Is this where it all began?  I think so. 

In my real life job, I am involved with the preservation of historic buildings.  This is not a job for someone who does not like confrontation.  The fight to preserve something can be exciting, challenging, confrontational and sometimes downright hateful.  Emotions are very close to the surface and can bubble over without warning.  I feel that one of the most effective tools I bring to the table is the ability to see both sides of the issue and to speak the language of opposing parties.  It has served me well in my career and has resulted in some pretty great compromises and a lot of assuaged feelings.  

I've never followed the crowd, never needed to be like everyone else and actually enjoy being different.  I think it is a pretty cool quality.  My friends may think some of my ideas are odd but I think its one of the things they like about me and  I'm not shy about sharing my opinions.  


The other element that makes me "beautifully different" is my sense of humor.  Though it is not universally appreciated, I think it plays a very important role in who I am.  It can be a bit sarcastic at times but never intended to be mean.  This is a trait that I acquired from my father, either genetically (who knows, might be) or by just being close to him.   For me, humor is the way through any situation, even the uncomfortable ones.  


So what makes me beautifully different?  A unique perspective and a wicked sense of humor.  There are many things about myself I'd like to change but those two traits I will keep proudly. 
 

No comments: