Wednesday, December 29, 2010

#reverb10 - December 22 Travel

How did you travel in 2010? How and/or where would you like to travel next year?
(Author: Tara Hunt)

I travel regularly in my job and although I run a statewide organization, it still requires a lot of travel outside Pennsylvania.  This was a surprising revelation for me when I accepted this position four and a half years ago.  I thought I would spend the majority of my time traveling around Pennsylvania to small communities, rural areas and many cities.  As it turns out, my staff does most of the traveling within Pennsylvania and other than a few trips to Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, I stick pretty close to Harrisburg with the exception of my participation in the Pennsylvania Humanities Council's Commonwealth Speakers' Bureau.   

The Commonwealth Speakers' program gives me the opportunity to speak about The Lincoln Highway in about four to six small communities each year, usually at the local library or historical society.  I love visiting these small places.  I've always adored visiting libraries so it's been fun to see all the great buildings.  For instance, the library in Danville, PA is just beautiful.  But here's the thing:  I go to these places, usually at night, speak for an hour or two, and head back home.  I hardly ever get the chance to really explore the places I visit.  If I could make one change in the next year, it would be to organize my schedule a bit better so that I arrive in these communities a little earlier in the day and take some time to explore. 

Sitting here in December, looking forward to the spring when most of these trips are scheduled, it seems like a great idea. Will I be able to do it?  I sure hope so. 

No comments: