Monday, December 13, 2010

#reverb 10 December 12 – Body Integration


This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn’t mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present?
(Author: Patrick Reynolds)

I think one of the most surprising things about getting older is the way your body lets you know that you are aging.  I am happy to still be active and able to do the things I want to do but a hard day of physical work makes for a less than stellar morning the next day.  An old knee injury from my youth screams at me every now and then and I hate that I can no longer sit cross-legged on the floor.  I still do it sometime, but it's not a good thing.  

However, earlier this year, while preparing for a big event at our house, we (my husband and I) spent a full week working around the house, primarily outside.  There was a lot of cleaning and moving things inside.  Old furniture was hauled to the dumpster, new furniture was arranged.  The yard work included trimming bushes, pulling weeds, cleaning up yard waste, some planting of flowers and a whole lot of weed-whacking.  Each day we got up, reviewed our list, began our day and worked until evening.  We cooked dinner together, mostly on the grill, relaxed and went to bed for a great night of sleep and rose again the next morning to do it all again.  

Motivated by the end goal, excited each day by the progress and enjoying the long break from my regular job behind a desk, I really felt alive.    

No comments: