Tuesday, December 7, 2010

#reverb10 - Day 6 Make

Prompt:  Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

What was the last thing I made?  Does that mean finished?  This is a challenging question posed to the queen of UFOs (unfinished objects) and WIPs (works in progress).  I routinely have multiple knitting and quilting projects going on at once.  There is usually one that is the favorite child and gets the most attention.  Sometimes that child misbehaves and needs a time out and another one comes out to take its place.  Sometimes they all need a time out because I've gotten excited about starting a new project (or two or three).  That, my friends, is called "start-itis."

I do finish things.  I think the last finished project was a lovely ruffled neck warmer made from baby blue alpaca from Peru, a gift from a friend who visited there.  When I look at it, it makes me smile. Now I haven't actually worn it yet.  And sadly, I have to admit that I rarely wear what I make.  There are exceptions to this...wool fingerless mitts for typing on cold days in the office and a nice cotton shawl that I wrap around my shoulders when I read.  The cold hard reality is that I enjoy the process of knitting far more than I enjoy the finished project. 

I am a process knitter, a process quilter and just a process person in general.  I love learning new skills.  I love the period of time spent working on the project the most.  Many times, once I  have mastered the new stitch or technique, I lose interest.  I do want to finish projects but I don't much care about them once they are completed.  This has both good and bad consequences.  It is very good for charity...finished shawls donated to hospice, preemie hats donated to the hospital, or scarves to anyone who admires them. It is very bad for family members and friends who are waiting for promised projects to be finished and passed on to be enjoyed.  Right now, my daughter's high school graduation quilt is a bit of a touchy subject.  She is convinced she'll be graduating college before she gets it. 

I love choosing the right material -- wool, cotton, acrylic -- depending on the final product.  I especially love choosing the colors.  I love color; every color.  Color makes me happy.   Fabric makes me really, really happy.   I love good quality 100% cotton quilting fabric.  I love acquiring it and fondling it, sometimes I even use it.  When I am using the yarn or the fabric, I am content and at peace.  I am caught up in the process of creating. 

I want to be knitting and quilting every day and if I could carve out a little more time to do it, I might finish more projects...or have more time to start new ones.  Happy crafting!


No comments: